Battle of the... Biscuits

The finished (and locked) awards, stories, blogs and other great threads are in here for safekeeping and easy access if you want to view them again.

Battle of the... Biscuits

Postby shrek junior » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am

Welcome to the Battle of the Biscuits :D

This knockout challenge will find our favourite all time biscuit. I hope your favourites are included in the last 16 draw (17 actually), but if Dad has missed a huge favourite then let him know.

Dunk ‘em, crunch ‘em, love ‘em… which is your favourite??

The first four ties in this round are…

Plain Digestive vs Chocolate Digestive

ImageImage

Club vs Penguin

ImageImage

Rich Tea vs Nice vs Shortbread (3 way battle)

ImageImageImage

Ginger Nut vs Choc Chip Cookie

ImageImage

Get voting :mrgreen:
shrek junior
Chairman

Re: Battle of the... Biscuits

Postby Leeds And Proud » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Plain Digestive vs Chocolate Digestive - I can eat a whole packet of plain digestives. The same can't be said for their chocolate cousins (Careful - Ed)

Club vs Penguin - I always find Penguins too bland. Club had more flavours, the blackcurrant one was my favourite. Oh, and the mint.

Rich Tea vs Nice vs Shortbread - a good biscuit to both dunk and also lick the sugar off, especially after a sherry as Christmas. The other 2 are far too flimsy and always end up being soggy lumps in the bottom of the cup.

Ginger Nut vs Choc Chip Cookie - same reason as the digestive battle. I feel sick after 25 choc chip cookies, plus ginger nuts absorb tea better.
Leeds Til I Die
Leeds And Proud
Lead Guitar

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Plain Digestive v Chocolate Digestive

There is a small proviso with this answer, it must be PLAIN chocolate digestives, milk chocolate ones just make me feel sick.

Club v Penguin

Club win this one hands down and sorry LnP but orange clubs were the best...did anyone else eat them by biting all the chocolate off first and then eating the biscuit? no? OK I'll get my coat.

Rich Tea v Nice v Shortbread

Remember just like puppies shortbread is not just for Christmas

Ginger Nuts v Choc chip cookies

no contest, also a great biscuit for dunking
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby mr cambo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 am

Plain Digestive vs Chocolate Digestive - no contest... chocolate always wins through, even if you get chocolaty fingers

Club vs Penguin - the purple fruit clubs were my favourite as a kid. I hated penguins for some reason, not sure why though.

Rich Tea vs Nice vs Shortbread (3 way battle) - Not a fan of Rich Tea. Nice biscuits are... nice, but a cuppa tea with a shortbread. Lovely.

Ginger Nut vs Choc Chip Cookie - I'm not a ginger nut fan, but choc chip cookies hit the spot.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Mr Benn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:24 am

Plain Digestive v Chocolate Digestive ????????????????????

Right... there is a problem here; from the attached pic, it is clearly a stroll through Embankment Gardens for Mr McV's Plain Digestive, BUT... what if the unpleasantness on the right were to be replaced with a PLAIN CHOCOLATE digestive as that would be a new world experience, hats would be thrown skywards and small children would scamper at play.

Club v Penguin

Ah, top stuff. Now there is nothing wrong with a Penguin that a sound beating couldn't resolve, but the Club was a pretty good treat as i recall when i was even marginally shorter than i now stand. The thick chocolate was good and the various fruits were also nice, as long as they were Orange.

Rich Tea v Nice v Shortbread

I have Rich Tea in my office and, occasionally, as a treat, i have Nice. Shortbread on the other hand, is nice (Nice? Oh i see... nice, Ed)

Ginger Nuts v Choc chip cookies

I can't put my finger on it but i feel a great personal loyalty to the nuts.
Stay out of Camberwick Green
Mr Benn
Keyboards

Postby Mick Dublin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am

I'm not a massive biscuit fiend. Well, that's not entirely true, it's just that I don't tend to eat them in the conventional manner, I like to break them into a bowl, pour ice cold milk oevr them, and eat them with a spoon, kind of in the manner of a breakfast cereal. Indeed i have been known to have them for breakfast (though more usually watching a film), so I shall review them as such.

Plain Digestive v Chocolate Digestive - easy, this one, especially if, as my learned friend says, it's PLAIN CHOCOLATE. The biscuit goes all soggy, but the chocolate, chilled by the milk, stays quite sharp. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Club v Penguin - it is some decades since I've had either, but I'm fairly sure I prefer a Club.

Rich Tea v Nice v Shortbread - utilising the milky-mush method, Rich Tea and Nice are indistinguishable, though quite nice, but Shortbread is ALL the lovely, with that lovely crumbly-becoming-mushy texture, and that great buttery taste.

Ginger Nuts v Choc chip cookies - another easy one, this time based on flavour; I'm not a big fan of ginger flavouring, though I recognise the importance of fresh ginger in a good curry.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Mr Benn wrote:Right... there is a problem here; from the attached pic, it is clearly a stroll through Embankment Gardens for Mr McV's Plain Digestive, BUT... what if the unpleasantness on the right were to be replaced with a PLAIN CHOCOLATE digestive as that would be a new world experience, hats would be thrown skywards and small children would scamper at play.

I really couldn't have put that better myself, milk chocolate is the spawn of the devil when attached to a digestive biscuit
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby simon0268 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Plain v Chocolate - but have to agree, a plain chocolate would be much better.

Club v Penguin - if you like a lotta chocolate on your biscuit - ooh yes please...., that wasn't very easy, as you can eat a penguin like a timtam - bite of both ends, dip in coffee until it soaks up fluid - shove in mouth - marvellous.

rich tea v nice v shortbread - all three have a place, but shortbread is an all rounder.

ginger nut v cookie - ginger nut is better in a cuppa, cookies just too american
simon0268

Postby Major Tom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Plain Digestive vs Chocolate Digestive - Plain Digestives are great for dunking in Coffee, but the PLAIN Chocolate version will always win out.

Club vs Penguin - Like Penguins, but I like a lot of Chocolate on my Biscuit, so I'll join 'our Club'.

Rich Tea vs Nice vs Shortbread - Can take or leave RT & SB - but have a sneaking regard for Nice. Surprisingly Dunkable.

Ginger Nut vs Choc Chip Cookie - Ginger Nuts are a menace to Teeth (painful Childhood memory, that I can't quite shake). Love Choc Chip Cookies, especially in Boaster form.
Planet Earth Is Red And Blue
Major Tom
Philanthropist

Postby shrek junior » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Scores from the first set of fixtures:

Plain digestive 1-5 Chocolate digestive

Club 7-0 Penguin

Rich Tea 0 - Nice 1 - Shortbread 6

Ginger Nut 3-4 Choc Chip Cookie

Next up:

Custard Cream vs Bourbon

ImageImage

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel

Image Image

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi

ImageImage
shrek junior
Chairman

Postby mr cambo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 am

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - Oooh I do like a custard cream with a cuppa. Haven't had a bourbon in years. I guess it's because I'm not so keen on them.

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - Chocolate wins though again :D

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - mind you, I haven't had a wagon wheel in years either, but that doesn't stop them from being nice.

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - it's a bore draw here I'm afraid
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby simon0268 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 am

custard cream v Bourbon - its one if the best biscuits in the world, enough said.

plain hob nob v chocolate hob nob - excellent biscuits with brilliant dunking qualities, the chocolate coating just adds to the experience

jaffa cake v wagon wheel - love them both, can't split them

jammy dodger v garibaldi - garibaldi's are ok, but too much fruit for a biscuit
simon0268

Postby Mick Dublin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 am

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - Custard Cream, easy. Once again, eaten in a bowl of cold milk.

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - Easy peasy.

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - also easy peasy, and another one that works splendidly in a bowl of cold milk.

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - lovely with a cup of tea.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby Mr Benn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 am

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - I can eat a custard cream, but i do like a bourbon.

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - Plain chocolate please, but then just carries it.

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - None of the above; i can't eat either of these, sadly.

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - Not an exciting one for me, both quite nice, a draw.

At this point it seems almost relevant to mention Mr Sayle's The Young Ones speech.. It's quite interesting, you know, the number of biscuits that are named after revolutionaries. You've got your Garibaldi, of course, you've got your Bourbons, then of course you've got your Peek Freens Trotsky Assortment.
[sings] "Revolutionary biscuits of Italy / Rise up out of your box / You have nothing to lose but your wafers / Yum yum yum yum yum..."
Stay out of Camberwick Green
Mr Benn
Keyboards

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - 0-0 draw for me I'm afraid, not a great lover of biscuit sandwiches

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - Must be plain chocolate.

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - I am voting for Jaffa cakes here although neither are what I would call a biscuit!!

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - Only works for me with a cup of builders tea, Jammy dodgers (not sure if your photo IS a jammy dodger though) are another 'sandwich' style biscuit
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby Major Tom » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - I could also eat A Custard Cream, but could easily polish off a half a dozen Bourdons in one sitting. And have. Crazy, me.

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - The Choc Factor will always have the edge.

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - As a kid, I once (thanks to my Nan going slightly OTT on the fact I liked them) had a wall of Jaffa Cake boxes, on my bedside table, the size of which Roger Waters would have been proud of. Infact that Jaffa Cake Wall was what The Wall album was actually based on. Was there ever a concept album based on Wagon Wheels? Nuff said.

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - Tough one, but given a choice right now, I'd go for a Garibaldi with a Cuppa before bedtime.
Planet Earth Is Red And Blue
Major Tom
Philanthropist

Postby Leeds And Proud » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Custard Cream vs Bourbon - although custard creams are better for dunking the bourbon gets my vote for the flavour.

Plain Hob nob vs Chocolate hob nob - purely because the chocolate melts into the tea and ruins the taste.

Jaffa Cake vs Wagon Wheel - is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit?

Jammy dodger vs Garibaldi - there's too much going on with Jammy Dodgers whereas Garibaldis keep it simple.
Leeds Til I Die
Leeds And Proud
Lead Guitar

Next

Return to The Vault