2011 Fantasy Band

The finished (and locked) awards, stories, blogs and other great threads are in here for safekeeping and easy access if you want to view them again.

2011 Fantasy Band

Postby mr cambo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 pm

The 2011 competition kicks of soon, and with a big shake-up from the previous few years setup.

This year you can buy and sell your artists, like in football fantasy league competitions.

You can buy and hold, invest slowly, or go in and out of the music market weekly... it's your choice.

Read more here (and below), and post any queries you have in this thread.

Good luck!
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Fantasy Band

Postby Mick Dublin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 pm

See now, this reminds me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I not win* the last two Fantasy Bands? Can I not, therefore, expect some class of prize(s)? Do I need to engage the services of a certain well known firm of stroppy litigators?

*Lose
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby mr cambo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 am

Now see here sir... it is correct that you have yet to lift the trophy.

The previous winners were:

2008 Major Tom
2009 L&P
2010 your truly :D

I therefore think that "stroppy litigators" are not yet required, although the litigators you refer to may want to seek their own councel if they feel that a libel has been commited.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Mr Benn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

Kindly note that Mr Benn of Benn & Associates came second in ALL three competitions and is therefore, on a technicality (i.e. the points system selected by Mr Benn's neice) quite possibly the true winner of the Fantasy Band competition to date. It is also true that Mr pxyzyzygy did qualify for at least one free trip to a musical extravaganza chosen by his fellow competitors and this should be rectified.
Stay out of Camberwick Green
Mr Benn
Keyboards

Postby Mick Dublin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Inasmuch as it may please your honours, perhaps, M'Lud, it may help to clarify precisely what I meant by 'win'.

In the case of an ordinary contest, one wins by being the best, by coming first, by the besting all of one's competitors. In the case of Fantasy Band, one does the same, and quite clearly messrs Tom, L&P and C have played worthy games over the last three years, and have won fair and square.

However, let it be known heretofore that there is a secondary, less obvious way, of 'winning' this competition, to wit: coming last ie. scoring the fewest points, suggesting perchance that the competitor in question, to wit; me, knows little or nothing about popular music, despite it being a benign obsession for this past 40+ years. Normally coming last entails no prize whatsoever (unless it's rugby union, in which case I believe the traditional prize presented is some sort of timber kitchen implement), but in this case tickets to some sort of 'musical extravaganza', as my learned friend above has stated, seem to be in order – this is what I meant by ‘win’, the competition was lost, but the prize was won.

Now, I'm no churl, as I'm sure this court will recognize, but I was just wondering what ‘musical extravaganza’ had been chosen, when it was likely to take place, and what hat I should wear for the occasion.
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby mr cambo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

Er, yes. "musical extravaganza"... you might have to put up with a barbershop quartet from the rest of us next time we meet up!

Moving swiftly on... as part of this year’s FB shakeup, here’s a little more detail regarding the NME points, the buying and selling of bands, and the Fantasy Banker! [Rhyming slang? Ed]

~ NME reviews come out on the Wednesday before an album release. Therefore to earn NME review points you must have bought the artist/band by the Tuesday evening of the week prior to the album’s release. The price of the artist will then be adjusted (most probably lower) to compensate for the loss of NME review points.

~ Once the NME review is out you have the choice, if you wish to, to buy or sell the band from/to the fantasy banker, or to someone else...

From the Wednesday prior to the album release, the price of an artist goes from fixed to a variable price, with a margin/spread between the fantasy banker’s buying and selling price. You can buy or sell any artist you want from then until the end of their 8-week period.

If you’re looking to sell an artist, and someone else is interested in buying them, then rather than dealing at the fantasy banker’s price [daylight robbery, Ed] you can negotiate a trade between yourselves, then email me the details.

~ The Fantasy Band week runs from 6pm Sunday to Sunday, so the purchase of a band at 8pm on a Sunday won’t score chart points until the following weekend’s chart release.

~ The top 100 charts will count for points scoring this time, not just the top 40.

All the above is subject to change depending on how we get on. Enjoy :D

Mr C – mentor of Tippex Tantrum
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Can I go 'short' of the Go Team before the competition starts??
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby mr cambo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

cossie(LUFC) wrote:Can I go 'short' of the Go Team before the competition starts??

Ha, no!

I've added the Guardian (Friday) review scores to the NME one, partly because I've removed the genre charts and some other point scoring areas to simplify things.

***Please note that to earn NME points you need to have bought the artist by the Tuesday evening efore the album release week, and for Guardian points by the Thursday evening prior to release week***

Can you reply here with your band name, or register on the site, so I can add you to the list of bands please. Ta
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

Tippex Tantrum have made their first signing :-({|=

Is it one of next weeks album release bands though? [you're mad if it is, Ed]

All will be revealed soon.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Mick Dublin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 pm

The Silver Alice Band are now registered...
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby mr cambo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

Also registered are Caught Laughing at Stephen Hawkins

NME out today. What will I get for.... no, not The Go Team, but Chapel Club :shock:
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm

First purchases made by
Caught Laughing At Sephen Hawkins
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby mr cambo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 pm

We now have 4 bands...

C.L.A.S.H. (Cossie)
The Silver Alice Band (pxyzyzygy)
The Crack of Dawn (L&P)
Tippex Tantrum (Mr C)

Although the competition has begun there is no deadline for 'buying' your band members... so far the main thing people who've yet to join have missed out on are The Go! Team review points :-k
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:06 pm

New Friday (Major Tom) have joined.

\:D/
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 pm

You can now see our band members, plus our bank balances, on the Studio page.

Cossie's been shopping :-k
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Charts updated.

I've been shopping too. Jessie J now costs rather more than when Cossie bought her!

The Go Team are quite cheap now though, just in case anyone fancies a punt?

p.s. The deadline for joiners is end of Feb.

\:D/
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Mick Dublin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:23 pm

I've just bought Beady Eye. Mind you, I thought they were called BDI when I heard them on the radio.
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Next

Return to The Vault