Battle of the... Bands

The finished (and locked) awards, stories, blogs and other great threads are in here for safekeeping and easy access if you want to view them again.

Battle of the... Bands

Postby mr cambo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Battle of the Bands: World Cup Competition

To kick of a new “Battle of the…” series, we’re starting with music. Due to the huge array of talent [and some shite, Ed] there are 64 artists involved, however in future competitions we’ll just go straight to the last 16.

It won’t be too demanding on you, as all that you need to do is vote for your preferred choice, with maybe the odd comment as to why?

The 32 ties in the ‘last 64’ section will be spread over a couple of weeks, with each group of 4 ties remaining ‘live’ for approx 2 days, so get your replies in before the votes are counted and the next 4 ties are listed.

There are some huge fixtures in the first round, so let the voting, and the debate, begin.

Remember...

Small print:
If there is a tie in a vote, Molly (our dog) will be offered two doggy biscuits, to represent the two bands… the one she goes for first will be the winner.
You may abstain in a vote if you are not familiar with the music of either band in the tie.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Re: Battle of the... Bands

Postby mr cambo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:50 pm

First up, as Metric sang… who would you rather be, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones….

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones
Madness vs The Specials
Gallows vs Fucked Up
Coldplay vs Embrace
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:54 pm

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones - While I’ve been enjoying The Beatles a lot lately, I’m afraid The Rolling Stones get my vote in this tie.

Madness vs The Specials - Both were superb live last year; however the vote goes to the one I enjoyed more as a kid.

Gallows vs Fucked Up - Gallows are a little too much for me, sorry folks, while Fucked Up are just fantastic, both on CD and live, oh, and I’ve never had my photo taken with Frank Carter.

Coldplay vs Embrace - I need to ensure Embrace get at least one vote in this competition, but what will you lot go for as I’m sure most of you dislike both bands!

YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Leeds And Proud » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 pm

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones - I've never liked The Beatles and the tosh Paul McCartney has released since their demise means The Stones get the nod.

Madness vs The Specials - Madness seemed to churn out too many albums and singles in their heyday and were too jolly - music needs to be dark and gloomy. The Specials were far better, their debut album is a classic.

Gallows vs Fucked Up - Are we allowed a tie? The intensity of Gallows can't be bettered but will they have the longevity of Fucked Up? Both are brilliant live and I can't separate them.

Coldplay vs Embrace - This shames me but I have only picked them because the singer is a Leeds fan. Musically, I can't stand either of them! And that Chris Martin is a total tw*t.
Leeds Til I Die
Leeds And Proud
Lead Guitar

Postby simon0268 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

The Beatles v The Rolling Stones - Although I like the Rolling Stones, I feel that The Beatles changed music, bringing a mix from pop to rock with a bit pyschadelic in the middle.

Madness v The Specials - Always has to be Specials for me, Madness made some great bouncy tunes, but The Specials added an edge and more meaning to the songs, always good to listen to

Gallows v F**ked Up - Gallows for me, though I've never seen F**ked up live, I've listened and I think Gallows just give me that Clash/Pistols raw talent

Coldplay v Em**ace- I have to agree with Dom, hate them both, but a Leeds fan and didn't they do an England song too ??
simon0268

Postby Mick Dublin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:52 pm

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones - a simple check on my iTunes shows that while I have an impressive 124 songs by the Stones, I have 248 by the Beatles. And while I like some Stones stuff very much (Street Fighting Man is one of my all time favourite songs), I have to admit that the Beatles made more great songs, in more varied styles. They also built the template for much of what followed, for decades. Tomorrow Never Knows, by the way, is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Madness vs The Specials - an easy one, this, gotta be The Specials. More edge, more reality, more danger, than Madness. Mind you, Madness did some splendid songs too.

Gallows vs Fecked Up - two bands I'm not well up on, but a quick flick through both bands on my iTunes shows Fecked Up to be much more fun.

Coldplay vs Embrace - I hate both bands, but Coldplay (who I normally think are for people who find Radiohead too dangerous) once wrote a song called Fix You which Young@Heart, a choir of OAPs, did a heart stoppingly gorgeous version of - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_n0zvoHlVk
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Postby Major Tom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones - The Stones were (are?) great - their output (certainly singles wise) up to the early seventies was near flawless - should have stopped then? However, it's got to be The Fab Four for me. Strawberry Fields, A Day In The Life, Revolver, Pepper, changing the course of popular music and all that. (What about Octopus' Garden? Ed.)

Madness vs The Specials - I also prefer my music on the darker more melancholy side. Thus by the time Madness were filling that requirement with the likes of Tomorrow's Just Another Day and Yesterday's Men (never really liked the Baggy Trousers knees-up type stuff) The Specials had already lapped them a few times on that score, barely putting a foot wrong. Do Nothing, Ghost Town, Friday Night/Saturday Morning all classics, that still hit the mark 30 years on.

Gallows vs Fucked Up - Based on what little I've heard I'll give it to The Gallows. Intensity and great album title of Grey Britain wins out.

Coldplay vs Embrace - Have to say I don't particularly like or dislike either. However, whilst I can't really understand the phenomena Coldplay have become (in the seventies, they would have hung around at number 25 in the charts, for a few weeks, before politely shuffling away), I did find Yellow quite a touching little single (I think, for personal reasons at the time) and liked a few of the tracks from their last album too. They win.
Planet Earth Is Red And Blue
Major Tom
Philanthropist

Postby cossie(LUFC) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 am

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones.
I like the early blues stuff the Stones put out and not a big fan of early beatles songs however as the two bands progressed the Beatles becoame superb and the Stones became soooooo boring. However to quote Joe Strummer on the B side of the first Clash single.. 'No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones ...in 1977'

Madness vs The Specials
Easy, Madness did loads of great singles, the Specials did loads of great songs

Gallows vs Fucked Up
Too close to call but I think Gallows just get it thanks to those four horses

Coldplay vs Embrace
a nil-nil boring draw, someone else can choose for me as i have fallen aszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Marching on Together
cossie(LUFC)
Bass Guitar

Postby Mr Benn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 am

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones.

John Lennon was in The Beatles.

Madness vs The Specials

Madness are right up with the best live bands i have ever seen. When i saw them at Brixton i honestly couldn't believe it and i only went for a laugh as someone got me a ticket. At The Glast they blew me again. I think The Specials are poor live. The Specials wrote Doesn't Make It All Right.

Gallows vs Fucked Up

Fucked Up for me was one extraordinary gig, 1 excellent one and one ok one. I saw The Gallows at the 100 Club. It's The Gallows. By a nose.

Coldplay vs Embrace

What a load of sh1t! Coldplay just for not ever being Embrace. "Embrace" rhymes with "disgrace" and "bunch of ****s". PS P*t*r R*dsd*l* is a Leeds fan.

Morning.
Stay out of Camberwick Green
Mr Benn
Keyboards

Postby mrs cambo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 am

The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones - I was born listening to them.

Madness vs The Specials - Great memories at school, and great live.

Gallows vs Fucked Up - Neither......could I care less??

Coldplay vs Embrace - Mr C has subjected me to more live performances than I can remember........I have been brainwashed!
Help I'm going mad!
mrs cambo
Chairman

Postby mr cambo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 am

Well, I'm shocked, as F*cked Up go out, while Embr*ce go through to the next round :shock:

Final Scores:

The Beatles 5-3 The Rolling Stones
Madness 1-7 The Specials
Gallows 4-2 Fucked Up
Coldplay 3-4 Embrace

Next up...

The Killers vs REM
Joy Division vs New Order
The Doors vs The Who
Guns n Roses vs Nirvana
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mr cambo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:54 am

The Killers vs REM - I like some of REM's stuff, but The Killers win by a mile for me.

Joy Division vs New Order - True Faith is an awesome song, as are many others. Oh, and like Embrace, they did a World Cup song too :D

The Doors vs The Who - Not sure here as it's a close one, but The Doors just win.

Guns n Roses vs Nirvana - Easy one. Guns n Roses made a few good songs, but Nevermind is an iconic album.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby Leeds And Proud » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 am

The Killers vs REM - but only based on Hot Fuss and Sam's Town. I think their recent stuff is pants.

Joy Division vs New Order - Without them there would have been no New Order, Killers or Interpol.

The Doors vs The Who - An easy choice. Only made 6 studio albums but each one is a masterpiece. And Morrison never felt the need to research child p*rn on his laptop.

Guns n Roses vs Nirvana - This is a tough one. GNR were great live and Burt Cocaine topped himself 4 days before I was due to see them (Was it something you said? - Ed). Nirvana will stand the test of time, whereas GNR have become a joke.

When is the Sugababes v The Saturdays clash?
Leeds Til I Die
Leeds And Proud
Lead Guitar

Postby Mr Benn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 am

The Killers vs REM - This doesn't seem like a fair fight?

Joy Division vs New Order - Snap?

The Doors vs The Who - Prefer them and they didn't get the chance to age poorly. Also Ray Manzarek produced the marvellous X stuff.

Guns n Roses vs Nirvana - As with first two, easy call for me.
Stay out of Camberwick Green
Mr Benn
Keyboards

Postby mr cambo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Leeds And Proud wrote:When is the Sugababes v The Saturdays clash?

Er, there will be a couple of 'alternative' clashes, however that won't be one of them.
YNWA
mr cambo
Site Admin

Postby mrs cambo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 pm

The Killers vs REM - I can't stand REM

Joy Division vs New Order - I like them both but if I have to choose...

The Doors vs The Who - I never really got The Who....I only liked one song

Guns n Roses vs Nirvana - I remember talking to a dealer at GIB about Guns n Roses and he remarked that the lead singer had an unusual name, and wondered if it was real. I then told the rather innocent young chap with the large ears what the name really meant. I was forever after known to the dealing room as Bob Jowl!!!!!
Help I'm going mad!
mrs cambo
Chairman

Postby Mick Dublin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

The Killers vs REM - I don't like either of them, except for End of the World as We Know it by REM, so that clinches that.

Joy Division vs New Order - Oh dear. I love them both, hugely. Numerically, I suppose New Order would tip it, as they've done more songs, but then Joy Division have a very special place in my heart. OK, JD get it

The Doors vs The Who - easy, The Doors were dull and boring, while The 'Oo made some superb rock music.

Guns n Roses vs Nirvana - Not a massive fan of either, they both did one song I love, so it has to be Sweet Child of Mine vs Smells Like Teen Spirit. OK, Nirvana have it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mick Dublin
French Horn

Next

Return to The Vault